Here’s my recipe that does NOT require a double-boiler. It takes about 5-7 minutes start to finish and makes about 2 cups.
You will need:
6 egg yolks (freeze your whites to use in something else)
3 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 stick of butter. (Don’t you dare use margarine!)
1. Put the yolks in a cold saucepan on a cold stove.
2. Whisk in the 3 tbsp of water.
3. Turn the heat on to the lowest possible setting.
4. Whisk constantly until it begins to thicken.
5. Turn off heat, add lemon juice, whisk and turn heat back on to lowest setting.
6. When it becomes pasty, add the butter slowly while whisking. It may seem clumpy for a minute. Keep whisking.
7. When all of the butter is whisked in, check for consistency. If it’s too thick, add additional water, 1 tbsp at a time while whisking until you reach the consistency you like.